Period homes are delicately beautiful. Renovating them needs just the right balance of maintaining the structural integrity of the house, elevating the historic features, and integrating modern touches for aesthetics and comfort.
Your period home can be renovated so you can achieve just the right mix of functionality, style, and comfort. When done right, your property value can increase significantly. Sounds like a dream right?
With this in mind, following are some period home renovation ideas to add a touch of style and pops of colour to your home.
Keep the classic period designs and colour but elevate your home with practical industrial touches with a sense of style. This is a less expensive solution in adding a modern touch to your period home.
Here are some industrial touches you can apply when renovating your home:
- Steel Framed Doors and Windows – black-framed doors and windows will look great in contrast to your white-painted walls or brick walls.
- Some exposed metal plumbing pipes or heater are practical and stylishly modern.
- Copper lighting and fixtures can give your place pops of colour and a modern twist. This is a simple and effective way to modernise your space without changing the classic design and layout.
- Use modern appliances and fixtures. This is a practical and functional way to keep the classic design while keeping your home updated with modern technology. Period homes do not have to function as a period home.
- Use practical industrial accessories that are both functional and stylish like stylish metal racks or copper hanging bookcases.
Showcase Classic features
By highlighting one or two features of a classic period home, it gives it an updated look. For example, keeping the beams exposed and highlighted by painting the ceilings white or any light neutral colours.
By updating the paint job, you highlight the beams. This can make the features pop and the house look new but keep the classic feel.
Classic Design, Modern Colours
If you love the classic look all throughout the house, play with colours to make your house pop. Adding bold or strong colours on small, strategic places can make a big difference to the aesthetics.
Classic With Modern Touches
Don’t be afraid to mix modern and classic. Pick a single spot where you can add a modern twist. For example:
- Use metal sheets or corrugated metal for one side of your outside wall.
- Use modern doors and windows.
- Inject life into your classic home by using a charcoal-stained larch facade.
- Keep it exciting by using automated, remote-controlled windows and sliding doors.
Make It Functional
Make the space more functional by making your spaces usable. For example:
- Add more bookshelves to your walls.
- Put chairs and ottomans on corner nooks so they can be used as reading nooks.
- Convert your attics into a children’s study or playroom.
- Put a study table in a spacious corner.
Use Sleek, Modern Glass Designs
Adding a sleek glass partition or adding an all-glass extension to a very classic home can look great when planned right. Adding a super modern addition can work well with your period home as long as you keep it simple and streamlined. The contrast can be breathtaking.
Free Up Some Space
Most period homes have curves, birches, wood lining, and many finishes. Free up more space by taking them out and using a more streamlined design. Take out the bulky cabinets and put in more practical storage.
Black & White Bathroom
Keep a modern surprise up your sleeve for your house guests. Imagine your friends coming into your beautiful classic period home and being pleasantly surprised when going into your powder room or bathroom.
A black and white bathroom or a sunny, beach-themed one can be a wonderful contrast to your classic design.
Use Modern Storage to Your Classic Design
Use modern shelving and storage spaces. Add soft accessories that are practical and serve as design elements. For example, you can use rattan or colourful fabric storage accessories or automated drawers.
Use Modern Tiles
A small modern touch like tiles for your splashbacks can change the look and the vibe of the whole space. When dealing with a period home, it is important not to ruin the design integrity of the house. Choose subtle but classy modern additions.
Renovating your home is not an easy job on so many levels. Achieving that dream design is hard work. However, it can be achieved. It is crucial that you seek professional help when renovating your home.
A renovation project can be a money pit if you trust the wrong contractor. And doing it yourself can potentially do more damage than good.
Period Extensions & Designs is a trusted industry leader in period home renovations. You do not want to trust your home to anyone else. We deliver award-winning, premium home renovations across Melbourne.
When it comes to innovation and setting the standards, we are here to help! Give us a call today on 03 9882 5255 or message us through our contact form. We are ready to support you from the design stage to completion. We are here for you!