When renovating your home, it is crucial that you choose a reliable, high-quality builder. The finished product is only as good as the builder you choose.
Finding a good quality builder can be a daunting task. Getting the balance right between reliability and costs can be a delicate task to accomplish.
It is hard to stick to a budget if you can’t rely on your builder to stick to the plan or the time table. So, how do you find a high-quality builder?
Look Within Your Community
Going with a local builder has its advantages. They live and conduct business within your community so they have a local reputation to uphold. They are more invested in doing a good job because everyone in the community knows them.
The work they do for you can make or break their reputation as a trustworthy and reliable local builder. Word of mouth and client reviews are vital to their success.
Other advantages of hiring locally are:
- They are easy to find
- Communication is easier since you know them
- Their time on your site is not limited since they live within the area
- They are knowledgeable of local planning rules
- Easy access to local suppliers
- They are part of the community fabric so they are least likely to abuse and take advantage of you
- Better customer service
Ask For Referrals
A personal recommendation from your friends and family is one of the best ways to find an outstanding builder. Their first-hand experience with a company or a team is your guarantee that you are making the right choice.
When you get referrals, take the time to visit the homes and other projects of the prospective builder. Go and check out their handiwork firsthand. There is no better assurance and guarantee of excellent work than seeing the finished product yourself.
The internet is a vast source of information. Search online for reliable contractors within and around your area. Read their client reviews and verify them. Always do your due diligence when searching online.
From there you can come up with a shortlist and start calling around for consultations and quotations. Talking to prospective builders personally will help you decide if they are the right fit for your renovation needs.
Verify Their Credentials
No matter how good a builder’s local and online reputation is, you can never be too careful. Always verify their credentials. Check their licenses, registration, and insurance.
Ascertain if they belong to any recognised Industry Associations such as the HIA (Housing Industry Association) or MBA (Master Builders Association).
Make sure the builder has the relevant building insurances and licenses. Does the builder have the necessary skills to complete your project?
For example, if you require a large scale project such as adding a second storey and internal renovations carried out, you would want to ensure the builder has successfully completed such projects.
Also, when it comes to properties with a heritage overlay, you would be best suited to finding a company that is well accomplished with period style extensions and renovations
When you have made a shortlist of possible candidates, it is important to:
- Make a detailed list of your renovation must-haves. Make sure that the builder can provide and deliver these.
- Request for a comprehensive quote. Compare prices. Ask about their vendors and suppliers. Check for product quality and reputation. It is tempting to go with the lowest bidder but considering these other factors is invaluable.
- Meet with potential contractors. The only way you will know it is a good fit is when you get to sit down, talk, and discuss your design ideas and renovation requirements.
- Agree on costs. After getting a quotation, it is crucial that you go into details and agree on costs and a timeline for the build before you officially hire a builder.
Important Questions to Ask Around:
- Do they communicate regularly?
- Are they polite and accommodating?
- Was the project completed on time and on budget?
- Were there any extra and hidden costs?
- What are their labourers and tradesmen like?
- Do they clean up the site after?
Unsure? Give us a call at Period Extensions today on 03 9882 5255 to you can fill out our contact form. We’ll be more than happy to assist you.
We will take your design ideas and renovation requirements and bring them to life. Tell us what’s important to you and we will listen. Our mission is to make your renovation dreams come true.