Are you contemplating getting a home office extension? What are some of the critical things you should know before planning one?
Over the past couple of years, we are seeing much more of the working from home arrangement. Many companies are moving away from having physical office space and transitioned to remote working. A few years back, the concept of working from home would have been unimaginable but is now the new norm. As a result of more companies transitioning to a remote work setting, more people are looking into having a home office extension. Please keep reading to learn more about home office extensions.
Work From Home Is The New Normal
There are multiple benefits of remote work for both employees and employers, and more companies are embracing this concept. More job seekers are leaning towards pursuing a career that allows them to work remotely as it may offer them a better work-life balance. Working from home is becoming the new normal.
A 2021 study by Mercer showed that 70% of companies planned to adopt this hybrid model.
More companies have realised that employees do not have to be in the office full time to be productive. Remote work is a concept that is most likely here to stay. Therefore, it may be time to consider house extension ideas if you work from home. In order to ensure a more productive work environment, it makes sense to have designated office space in your home.
If you will be working from home long term, having a dedicated space as the office will allow you to have a better work-life balance.
Things You Need To Know Before Planning A Home Office Extension
It would be best to consider multiple factors before you start planning a home office extension. Having the extra space will make it easy to work from home and prevents you from getting distracted. Here is what you should know:
- What do you want to achieve: Have a goal of what this extension should achieve. Do you want more natural light in the home office? Would you also like extra space in the living area? Knowing what you want determines what changes you will make.
- Where will you put the extension: It is essential to determine where you want the extension. You can employ different house extension designs, including loft conversions, rear extensions, and second storey extensions (if permitted by the council).
- Professional builder: It is essential to procure the services of an experienced builder for the best results.
Benefits Of Creating A Work-Friendly Space
It is essential to create a work-friendly space in your home. Here are the benefits of creating a work-friendly space:
- Work-life balance: Having a work-friendly space creates a clear boundary between your work hours and when you are off work. It can ensure that you have a healthy work-life balance.
- Get work done: A work-friendly space ensures minimal distractions allowing you to get work done during work hours. It helps to have an office space instead of working in the living space, or on the dining table.
- Does not impose on your personal life: When working from home, it is essential to have extra space for your work to avoid having your work life pour into your personal life. When you have a separate office space, it can help you ‘switch off’ when it comes to personal or family time.
Ground Floor Vs Second Storey Office Extension
You may be contemplating whether it is better to have a second storey or ground floor office extension. Your property location, land size, council regulations, and budget will determine whether a second storey or ground floor office extension makes sense. It will help if you consult a professional to determine what style extension suits your needs best.
Working from home is the new norm, which offers employees multiple benefits. It is essential to have a working space to ensure an appropriate work-life balance. There are different types of home office extension ideas to choose from depending on the layout and size of your home.
Contact Us For Your Home Extension & Renovation Needs
At Period Extensions & Designs, we have over 30 years of experience doing home extensions and renovations. Would you like to improve your home with an extension or renovation? Let our skilled Design and Building Team work on your project.
Please call Period Extensions & Designs today on (03) 8658 1340 or make an enquiry.