Home renovations are expensive so you have to plan them very carefully. When done right, renovations can significantly increase the value of your home.
This means that when you plan your renovation project, you need to be strategic in your approach. As you are investing money on the renovations, you might as well plan it so you add value to your home.
Balance your desired changes with purposely adding features that will increase your property value. We have listed here 8 features you can add to your home when renovating. We hope this helps.
1). Update Your Kitchen
The kitchen is perhaps the most important part of the house that adds the most value. When renovating your kitchen, make sure that you get the most out of your investment.
Some things you need to focus on are:
- Kitchen layout – a free-flowing space, an open layout is ideal. It makes the kitchen look more spacious and feel bigger.
- Repaint – Use neutral clean colours like white, light blues, and the like. Neutral colours make the space appear bigger and cleaner. It is also easier to furnish and decorate.
- Modern appliances – Update all your appliances so your kitchen becomes more modern and functional. Choose some appliances that have bright or attractive colours so they can be both stylish and functional.
2). Update Or Add Bathroom
A simple bathroom update can elevate your home value significantly. Adding a new one, even more. A few modern touches make a big difference.
An outdated bathroom(s) is a turnoff for homebuyers (just in case you decide to sell). It also does not do you any good aesthetically.
3). Update Your Doors And Windows
New modern doors and windows can totally change the whole look of your home. This is a stylish and affordable way to increase the value of your building and update the aesthetics.
Some popular styles are:
- Metal framed doors and windows for that industrial look.
- Sliding doors
- Entry door windows for a dramatic look.
- Bay windows
- Skylight and high windows
- Fabricated metal doors
- Carved wooden doors
- Many others
4). Adding A Deck
Adding a simple deck, if allowed, can make your backyard more appealing. It is also practical. Decks can be used as an outdoor living space like outdoor dining, BBQ area, a reading space, exercise deck, etc. They can also add considerable value to your home.
5). Curb Appeal
Your home facade and the front yard is the first thing your guests and potential buyers see – a good first impression is a major influence factor. So make sure you do the following:
- Painting the exterior to give it a fresh look and feel.
- Pave your driveway.
- Landscape your lawn.
- Add outdoor furniture.
- Use feature lighting and nice lighting fixtures.
6). Attic Renovation
Attics are mostly used as a storage space. It is usually a space that you do not show your guests because it is usually messy and full of junk.
If you have an attic, you can turn it into a guest room or a playroom. Make it into a conversational piece, a highlight feature instead of a space that you hide. A simple conversion like this can add so much value to your home.
7). Add a Family Room
Adding a new family room can increase your home value between five to ten per cent, maybe a little bit more if it is done well.
Providing a versatile room where the family can hang out, watch tv and spend most of the time relaxing and enjoying each others company is a great investment and renovation idea.
8). Update Rooms
Small and simple updates to your rooms will greatly increase your home value. Here are some things you can do to change the look and overall aesthetics:
- Update the paint job. Some fresh new colours will make a big difference.
- Update or paint the doors and windows.
- Change outdated lighting fixtures. Invest in great lighting. It makes your rooms look a lot more classy.
- Update the upholstery on your furniture.
- Update your appliances.
Find a high-quality builder that you can consult with and include in the design, planning and building stages. This is important so you can set a realistic budget and stick to it. Engaging with a professional design and build team is the best option.
If you are looking for experienced and trustworthy professionals to help you out with each and every step of your period home renovation or extension, look no further than Period Extensions & Designs.
Whether you need help with the design or the actual renovation itself, please call us today at Period Extensions & Designs on (03) 8658 1340 or contact us through our contact form.